Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer Retreat (and First Ladies border)

To make your stars "float" on the outer borders:
 
First:
 
Measure the length your outer border needs to be
Ours is 88 1/2" so we will drop the 1/2" and use only the 88" finished length
 
Determine how many stars you want to use for this side
 
 
We will be using a 3 - 12, 1 - 8" and 2 - 6" blocks
(for a total of 56")
 
Subtract this length from your finished length
88 - 56 = 32 of filler space needed
 
 I decided to use fillers that were:
1 - 8"
1 - 5"
2 - 6 1/2"
1 - 6"
 

 
 
The total of my fillers is 8+5+13+6=32"
 
So lets cut my fillers:
1 - 8 1/2" x 12 1/2"
1 - 5" x 12 1/2"
2 - 6 1/2" x 12 1/2"
1 - 6 1/2" x 12 1/2"
 
Here is where I will put the fillers in my border
 
and here is the finished quilt.
 
 
Plus got over half of my block swapper for August finished using them for my
leader/enders
 
 
Carol is working on her applique border for Tree of Life
(Connie-they are only glued-LOL)
 

Chris is working on last year's block swapper, the mini 9 patch

and a guild block
 
 
Loraine was the first to finish something
Machine sew binding to Farmer's wife, a guild block and finished August block swapper
 

 
Marie is working on
a Women of Courage block
 
 
Edna is working on star blocks and First Ladies
 
 
Pat is working on an Eleanor Burns
Wild Goose Chase
 

 
and Suzanne is making covers for two griddle plates
 

 
 
Remember to keep commenting on your progress every day~
 
You never know when we will have the next drawing!!!!
 

 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. Finally sitting down to work on my snowflakes! I managed one and a half last night before I fell asleep with it in my lap :)
    Hope everyone is enjoying retreat. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retreat is great! I finished my block for my guild's lottery blocks and got all of my mini nine patches sewn together into 4-patch units. Next, I need to start on my hourglass alternate blocks.
    Chris P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...all of you are doing great... Hey I managed to get to the sewing room today. Working on Matha Washington Blocks for the Snow Day Quilt. Got 2 - 6 1/2 inch blocks done....Carol your layout looks great...(even it it's only glued)
    Love the pictures...
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what great projects you all have to work on!

    We're vacationing in Door Co, WI, where there is a severe weather warning for the heat wave - it reached 86 yesterday (ha, still cooler than StL)! Anyway, I've been appliqueing hexies flowers, leaves, and adding embroidered stems onto 7.5" squares. This is my "someday" traveling project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The projects look amazing! I hope to make it to a retreat sometime. It looks like a lot of fun. Last night, I worked on a small quilt project to practice my hand quilting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous! cut out month 11 Women of Courage blocks last night and hope to finish them tonight. Trying hard to make the most of this week, sure do miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completed 92 unit 12's, sewed 24 scappy block X's for my mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter in Quiltmaker magazine this year. Working on my Sew Spooky quilt putting the top together now adding borders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have spent the whole day working on my quilt top made from my little 9-patches from block swappers . Just finished the inside of the quilt. Now starting on the borders.
    Chris P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have sewn a little on my last block of the First Ladies and found why I had been using my backup machine for the puddle bags as my regular machine is still not working right. I guess it is back to the shop with it. My back up machine does not hold well to quarter inch seam allowance so I am giving up tonight. I will at least be cutting out blocks anfd doing embroidery until I have a working machine.
    Deana

    ReplyDelete

Post your comments here