Monday, November 5, 2012

Pointers for Precision Piecing

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am a deadliner.  This means that if I do not put a specific date on a project, it usually gets left behind.  The first and last of the month are usually killer weeks for deadlines.  I have several clubs to prepare for (make block samples, write instructions, etc).  I am normally preparing for these the night before and this month is no exception.  I just finished with the Tree of Life club tonight and now working on the Farmers Wife club for Wednesday.

I have selected fabric for the 6" Farmers Wife blocks (this seems to take me the longest) and am beginning to cut them out.  I stopped to post a little about my procedure for doing this.  I know sometimes our blocks do not turn out the correct size.  It is frustrating!  It's like - What did I do wrong?  I am always ask how I get so much done.  Well, I do have some rip out time and an occasional block the wrong size.  The hints I am about to give you may seem like they would take you longer to do, but in the long run, you are actually saving time because you are not ripping out or resewing the block over!  (Ask me how I know this) LOL  

Here are my pointers to help you sew precise pieced blocks.

  • Make sure you are cutting the correct size.  Are you placing the black line (or whatever color your line is) in the same place on the raw edge of your fabric?  Either the left side of the line, right side of the line or place the line down the center of your raw edge.  This may seem like it is an insignificant detail, but if you put all of thos insignificant details together it can be at least a 1/16"-1/8" detail!  It takes some concentration, but well work the effort in the end.

  • As you start sewing, are you making a "scant" 1/4" seam?   Test your seam allowance.  Cut several 1 1/2" x 4" strips of scrap fabrics.  Sew three of these together on the long side and press to the outside strips.  Your inside strip should be EXACTLY 1" from top the bottom.  If it is smaller, you have taken too large a seam allowance.  If it larger, you have takes too small a seam allowance.  Adjust your "view" and try again.  Remember that all quarter inch feet are not the same.  I always keep a piece of blue painters tape on my machine marking a scant 1/4".  As I feed the fabric into the machine, my eye is on the fabric and taped line, NOT on the foot.  I have adjusted my tape so that I can consistantly sew a scant 1/4" seam allowance.

  • Pressing can also distort and alter your blocks.  Always make sure your seams are pressed FLAT!  We are pressing and not ironing.  If you are sliding the iron on your fabric, you are not pressing.  The weight of the iron when it is moving should not be on the fabric.  Lift it slightly and then press back down again on the seam line.  Ironing your fabric can distort and stretch your fabrics.  Steam can be a good thing if you know how to use it properly.  Steam will help to get a very good flat seam.  Steam will distort and stretch your fabrics easily.  I love steam, but encourage you to learn the art of pressing without it first.  Press each seam as you sew it.  Do not wait till the block is completed to give it its first pressing!

  • Square up your units as you are constructing your block.  For example:  if you are sewing half square units, press them and then measure to see that each one is the correct size.  You should at the very least do some "housekeeping" and clean those edges making them nice and straight. Taking off the least little bit can help your finished block.  I usually like to cut some of my pieces slightly larger than indicate on the pattern and then square them up to a nice clean unit.  For more information I have a class "Figuring Your Quilts", an 1 - 1 1/2 hour session for $22.
I hope these tips will help you produce precise pieced blocks!  Now, back to cutting my blocks.

Keep Quilting!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here