Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Journaling Your Quilting Progress

I can't believe it is almost the end of the year.  Where has the time gone -  not to my project lists that's for sure.  I seem to be adding more that I am taking off.  What about you?  Every time I open a box of new arrivals at the shop, I just have the perfect quilt in mind for it.  Every time I read a quilt magazine, I seem to be turning page after page down.  I have yards of fabric in my stash, files of patterns, stacks of books and hundreds of torn out magazine pages of those quilts that I just have to make!  BUT-I haven't quite figured out just when I will have the time to make them. 

I already have several UFOs and even more projects that I am currently working on (which someday will be UFOs because I will get tired of working on them or they will eventually get pushed to the back of the line to make room for new current projects and will be completely forgotten about).  I was completely OK with this process because those left behind projects would eventually just blend in and disappear within the walls of my studio and not be found for a few years. 

At our Farmer's Wife club a few months ago, my friend Jane S. brought in her quilt journal.  She had been keeping this journal since she started quilting (over 25 years or more, I really didn't ask).  She had listed all current projects, future projects, techniques she wanted to learn, etc.  and the stage each project was in.  In addition, she had notes regarding each project (ideas, things that were happening in her live when she was making the quilts and so on and so forth).  It was amazing.  She could tell you about every quilt she had ever made. 

When I first started the shop, I tried to keep a list of every quilt I had finished.  This went well for several years.  Then I would forget about one or two of those samples for the shop or I would (still do) make the tops and then not quilt them (forever it seems like) and couldn't remember if I had added them to the list after they were pieced or was waiting till they got quilted to add them.  Eventually the list disappeared into the vast universe of the quilting studio or my desk; yeah! you know the next part--only to be found several years later.  But then who could keep it up.

Well, Jane's journal inspired me to start keeping one as well.  Keep in mind that I am not a writer or journaler (sp??) as Jane is and I had no intentions of jotting down my thoughts, ideas, etc.  I just wanted an ongoing record of my quilts.  I got a 3 ring binder and dividers.  I made my own sheets for UFOs, those quilts that were started and in progress (with labels across the sheet to indicate if it was cut out, pieced, appliqued, top finished, quilted and bound/label).  I would put the date in each section as I started and completed it.  I also had a section for my USOs (Unstarted  Objects).  These are all of my kits (pattern and fabrics) that I have not cut yet.  The final division in my journal was the FP section.  This is the Future Projects.  Here I can list patterns, book pages, magazine quilts, etc. that I would like to do in the future.  I can mark the technique used (pieced, applique, etc) and if I am collecting fabrics yet.  If you would like a copy of each of my sheets for YOUR binder, please e-mail me at shop@patchworkplus.net and I will send them to you!

I keep my binder next to the sewing table at home where it is easily accessible.  I find it easy to update and add to it whenever I finish at the machine.  It is also a great guide to gauge what project is next in line (those pesky one block a month ones) for that nearest deadline that is looming just around the corner.  Remember-I am a deadline junky!

I know, lets everyone start their binder and list their projects and such.  In a few months we can have a contest to see who has the most in each category!  I even have a list of my books and patterns in the front of the binder so that I don't buy the same one again because I liked it so much (this has happened several times). 

So get started on YOUR binder of quilts.  It is and will be a great record of the quilts you have made. 
Make your own binder sheets for the sections that you want or e-mail me at shop@patchworkplus.net for a copy of mine.  Post your progress here or in an e-mail to me and we will crown the winners at the annual January luncheon.  Jane-see what you started!

Until next time, keep quilting!
Jan

3 comments:

  1. Years ago I chaired a committee to make a quilt for the Alton Little Theater for "The Quilter." When I first met with the director, she wanted my quilt guild to make a quilt of all the blocks mentioned in the play. After my guild worked together & pieced all the blocks, I made a binder of the layout of the quilt that we had decided on & notes on each block along with 1/4" x 1-1/2" piece of each fabric used so they could use this to guide them when selecting fabric for their costumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful idea. I hope the quilt and notes are still together and in the hands of Alton Little Theater. What a great it would be 50 years from now!

      Delete
    2. I am amazed that I started this. Jane

      Delete

Post your comments here