Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Yes, I'm Crazy

I LOVE my reproduction fabrics and quilts,
but I have been fascinated for several years by the quilt

P A N D E M O N I U M


It is WELL out of my wheel house,
It utilizes Kaffe Fasset fabrics
(which for me is UGH!)
Not that I don't like the bold and bright,
 I just have a hard time figuring out how use his stuff. 

But---
this quilt kept calling me
and calling me
and calling me.

Each time I bumped into it-
in an e-mail,
on the web,
in a magazine--
I went to Google, found the pattern and dropped it into the
nearest shopping cart.

But before I pushed that BUY button
I always hesitated.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT THIS QUILT THAT KEEPS
 DRAWING ME TO IT!

Time after time, I would empty the cart and go on with my
quilting,

till the next time I saw IT.

THEN

IT HAPPENED!

I saw it AGAIN

but this time, I finally realized what it was that kept drawing me back.

It was the structure yet chaos of the quilt
My quilt life may seem to always be in chaos to others,
but I work better and produce better on deadlines.
I'm always juggling at least 6 quilts or more at one time.
I get bored working on the same quilt from start to finish.

It was the intricacy of the pieces
I love small piecing.  I would much rather piece a 3" block made of 56 units
than a 12" Nine Patch.
I love putting those puzzles together and making it work.

It was Applique
My first love is that dreaded A word for some of you.
I love to hand stitch applique, but rarely find the time any more.
My bad, I know, so maybe in the back of my mind, THIS QUILT
was my way of saying to myself that I will find the time for this quilt.

And finally
It was the fabrics
 I know what I said earlier about the fabrics and that is still true-------
BUT
(and there is always a but in there somewhere)
it is taking that large, bold print and cutting out just the right area of color,
just the right area of texture
to make that small applique piece come alive.
Again, putting that puzzle together with fabric now.

So, this time, I pushed that BUY button
and it came one 2 days later in the mail.

I love this quilt and can't wait to start
But before that can happen, I now must start gathering
Kaffe Fasset and other bright, bold textural fabrics
to my collection.
I see LOTS of 5" and 10" precuts in my future!

And here is my Pandemonium!

    

   

   

I have divided the quilt into 12 sections and will tackle it one section as a time.
progressing like just another Block of the Month.

I have decided to start working on it in January 2019,
giving myself plenty of time to gather
tons and tons of prints.

If you already have the pattern or I have just tempted you with
all of this "pandemonium"
Drop me a comment below if you want to join me
 in this chaotic adventure.
But remember,
I will be on the 12 month YEAR plan!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here