Friday, March 6, 2015

UFOs or WIPs??



We all have them----
UFOs - Unfinished Objects

I like to think of them notas UFOs.  This sounds like I will never get back to them.  I hate the idea of all of those "unfinished" projects just taking up space on my shelf. 

I would rather refer to them as WIPs - Works in Progress!
Now I don't feel so bad about them staying on the shelf--it may take several years before the creative juices are flowing again so that I can finish that particular project.

I have several WIPs.  Most I work on monthly, some just at a retreat now and then and a few just waiting for time to finish.   But everything currently on the WIP shelf is something that I want (intend) to finish at some point.

Besides the monthly clubs and BOMs that I do for the shop, there are some of my WIPs that continually get pushed back and back further each month (ok really every year).  I am always finding other things that I want to start IMMEDIATELY!
How many of you fall into that category?

When I do try and find one of those-I try and incorporate it into a "shop" program.  That way I know I will finish it in a timely manner-I NOW HAVE A DEADLINE!

Each Friday, I am going to try really hard to post about the progress of my WIPs for the week, some new things I found and some wonderful quilts from my customers that I had the privilege to quilt.


Remember those deadlines?
Civil War Diary Club was Wednesday night and I had to piece all the blocks Sunday and Monday   nights.  Got done and here they are:




Gardening in a 6" and 3"







 





There are 4 rounds of square in square triangles before it gets to the size of a dime in this 3" version.
The center is less that 1/4".  No foundation piecing here folks!








Thousands of Diamonds in 6" and 3"





I did foundation piece these, but the center is also LESS than a dime!












 Glorious News in 6" and 3"











 Smuggling Letters
Made these in 9" and 6"









Confederate Flag in 6" and 3"










Closeup of the star-just over a dime size which makes those points about 1/8".
No foundation piecing-I will do anything to avoid it.









Hateful Old Thieves in 6" and 3"
I just love brown and pinks.









Arrest Order in 9" and 6"









Tuesday night found me making binding and doing the machine sewing on them for two Quilts of Valor so Marilyn could pick them up on Wednesday for the handwork.

Customer Susan brings me two antique tops a year that she has rescued.  Susan is not a quilter, but has a love of quilts.
This week I quilted them and finished the bindings on them Thursday evening.

 


A red cowboy print surrounds an 8 pointed diamond scrappy star in the first and a gray print alternate block with
scrappy Monkey Wrench blocks in the second one.  Love all of the shirtings in this one. 


The gray was pretty flat.  But the red one had LOTS of fullness.

 
After tons of steam it was laying pretty flat. The end result was amazing.






The end result was amazing.










I just love this cowboy print.  I even found a reproduction piece in my stash of 30's fabrics.  Imagine that.





 Earlier in the week I worked on this custom "Tall Ships" quilt.
Water ripples in the outer border, wavy lines on the flag strips, a great center motif in the stars and the p2p curves in the points.  Ships alternated with both horizontal and vertical lines in hulls.  Windy swirls filled all of the background behind the sails.  Using a wool bat "puffed" out the sails which had no quilting in them.  Looked like they were really sailing.
A cable rounded out the overall look in the sashings.








 



Next came a scrappy stashbuster batik BOM quilt from Margaret.  She received the kit for the star blocks each month in the mail and then used her own batik fabrics for the surrounding large pieces.  Quilted with miscellaneous overlapping squares and rectangles with a few stars thrown in.


Somewhere in between all of the above, was a small baby quilt.  Adorable, but Dianne picked it up with the hour of being called it was done.  No time for a pic-sorry.



Now on is the Calhoun County raffle quilt.  The 9th Annual Quilt Tour features quilts from Calhoun County quilters.  They are shown in 4 locations throughout the county on Friday/Saturday, Oct. 16th and 17th.  For the past several years I have been donating a quilt to raffle to raise monies for Calhoun County Foundation. 


This year's quilt is my Civil War Love Letters quilt made with 8" blocks.
We will have raffle tickets here later if interested.  




Well, that's all for this week. Please post any comments at the bottom and let me know what you are working on.

Quilt on-Jan






No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here